What is a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)?
An SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements to graduate from secondary school. It also assists in their transition after graduation to apprenticeship training, college, university or the workplace.
SHSMs are available at Southwood in the following sectors:
What are the key benefits of an SHSM?
Pursuing an SHSM helps students to:
- Customize their secondary school education to suit their interests and talents.
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills.
- Earn credits that post-secondary educational institutions and the sector recognize.
- Gain sector-recognized certification and career-relevant training.
- Develop essential skills and work habits documented through the Ontario Skills Passport.
- Identify, explore, and refine career goals and make informed decisions about their future.
- Remain flexible, with the option to shift between pathways, should their goals and plans change.
How is an SHSM recognized?
Students who successfully complete an SHSM receive:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma with an embossed SHSM seal
- an SHSM Record documenting his/her achievement
- formal recognition on his/her Ontario Student Transcript
What are the components of an SHSM?
Each SHSM consists of five required components:
- Bundled Credits
A defined bundle of credits consisting of eight to ten Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits, including cooperative education credits.
- Certification and training
Sector-recognized certifications and training courses and programs
- Experiential learning and career exploration activities
Experiential learning and career exploration activities within the sector
- Reach ahead experiences
Learning experiences connected with the student’s post-secondary plans
- Essential Skills and work habits
Development of Essential Skills and work habits required in the sector, recorded using the tools in the Ontario Skills Passport (OSP)
What can I do to prepare?
- Plan accordingly: take the Grade 9 and Grade 10 courses that will lead you to the pathway of your choice.
- Contact the appropriate SHSM Lead:
- Environment-Mr. Bracey at email@example.com
- Transportation-Mr. Stockford at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit your guidance counsellor for further information.
When can I get started?
- Apply in your Grade 10 or 11 year. Use this SHSM Interest Form form to indicate your interest.
- If you are interested please contact your guidance counsellor or school SHSM Lead to register today!
Check out this Promotional Video for more details!
The Environment Specialist High Skills Major is a program designed for students who have a passion for the environment and are looking for challenges and experiences applying their knowledge outside of the traditional classroom. Students will learn sector specific skills and gain valuable hands-on experiences in environment based education. This program is ideal for any student interested in an intensive environment based education and who is looking to pursue a post-secondary education or occupation in an environment related field.
Check out the Course Outline
Contact Mr. Bracey at email@example.com if you have further questions
If you are interested in signing up for the SHSM Environment, please fill out the SHSM Interest Form.
The Transportation Specialist High Skills Major program is also offered at Southwood.
The SHSM-Transportation Program will help students develop:
- A sound foundation to learn in the Transportation industry
- Servicing or repairing all types of vehicles
- Personal management skills
- Teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
Contact Mr. Stockford at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in signing up for the SHSM Transportation, please fill out the SHSM Interest Form.