Advanced Placement at Southwood
Southwood offers Pre-AP enrichment opportunities and coaching to students who are interested in engaging in increased academic challenges and independent learning. Pre-AP is not a prescribed curriculum but rather an enriched experience to enhance current curriculum standards. Although Pre-AP opportunities extend the curriculum, regular course evaluation is based solely on the regular academic/university level Ontario curriculum. As such, formal evaluation of any extension activities will not occur and will not be included as part of regular reporting cycles. Students who exhibit the traits/characteristics of an AP student may choose to write an AP exam (at their own cost) in May of their Grade 12 year.
Advanced Placement examinations are taken each May by students at participating American, Canadian, and international educational institutions. All AP exams (with few exceptions) combine multiple-choice questions with a free-response section in either essay or problem-solving format. Students who receive a passing grade on the AP exam are then eligible for advanced standing in that subject area upon entrance to college or university. This can include being granted credit for a first year level course in the subject area. Individual universities vary in terms of which subjects they recognize, so parents and students are encouraged to research which post-secondary institutions will provide this opportunity in their subjects of interest. The cost of the AP exam is typically around $120.
Students taking advantage of Pre-AP opportunities and coaching must:
- Demonstrate academic excellence in the chosen subject area (has achieved over 85%);
- Have superior academic potential;
- Display an excellent command of spoken and written language;
- Have a well established work ethic and the willingness to work hard;
- Are enthusiastic, self-directed and capable of handling the accelerated pace of learning;
- Display consistent personal initiative;
- Enjoy being challenged;
- Possess curiosity about the subject of study;
- Demonstrate an intellectual curiosity over a broad range of interests;
- Enjoy involvement in the extracurricular life of the school and shows a willingness to assume leadership;
Southwood offers pre-AP opportunities and coaching in French, Geography and Science.
If your child is interested in taking advantage of our Pre-AP enrichment and coaching program, please fill out this Pre-AP Interest Form and connect with the Head of Guidance (Mrs. Jenn Madge).
**Please note that students who are intending to write an AP exam MUST notify, in writing, the Department Head of that subject area and the Head of Guidance (Mrs. Jenn Madge) no later than September of their Grade 12 school year.**
French – Mme. Pimentel email@example.com
Biology – Ms. Deacon firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental Science – Mr. Bracey email@example.com